Colonel Robert W. Walker was the oldest son of George J. Walker and continued with the family business of farming and land valuation, he was of the eighth and final generation of the Walker family to work and live in Portlethen. Colonel Walker had one younger brother, John W. Walker who also worked in the family business however he died in 1926 at the age of 46 when he was struck by a car on the Aberdeen- Stonehaven main road near to the grounds of his residence at Hillside House, Portlethen.
Like his father before him Colonel Walker was the head of the well known firm of Messrs Walker and Duncan, architects, civil engineers and land surveyors which had been founded by his father. Colonel Walker joined the firm as a “lad” and remained there throughout his life.
He followed in his father’s footsteps too, in ownership of the famous herd of Aberdeen Angus cattle at Mains of Portlethen before they were dispersed in 1933. One year later he gave up the tenancy of the Mains of Portlethen and gave up farming altogether so that he could give all his attention to estate management and focus fully on the business of Walker and Duncan. In 1934 the lands and farms that for many eras had been in the possession of the Walker family passed on to the Shand family, who continue to farm the same lands today.
Throughout Scotland Colonel Walker was recognised as one of the most progressive men in the farming industry. In this, as in other directions, his counsel and practical help were always widely sought and willingly given. A typical example of this was his chairmanship of the local committee responsible for the arrangements of the Highland Show at Aberdeen in 1935.
His professional skill and experience were often given for the good of the community. In Kincardineshire he served for a number of years on the Education Authority.
His sterling business qualities were valued on numerous boards of directors. He was chairman of the Northern Agricultural and Lime Company and of the Central Mart, a director of Aberdeen Journals Ltd and a director of the Northern Assurance Company.
Colonel Walker was associated with soldiering for over thirty years and in the First World War he commanded an Aberdeen battalion of Volunteers, and later he was Territorial Lieutenant-Colonel in the Gordon Highlanders.
Although perhaps not as involved in local community matters to the same extent as his father and grandfather before him he was still regarded as a stalwart of the district of Portlethen and was as well respected as his forebears. However on selling his lands and farms in 1934 he moved away from the local area and lived in nearby Deeside.
As Walker did not have any children the final link between the Walker family and Portlethen ended when he died in February 1947.